If you’re looking for costumes beginning with W then you’ve come to the right place. Why have I compiled this post of costume ideas? It’s because I love alphabet parties, but sometimes I’d like to have a resource page for when I’m invited to one.
Have you ever been to an alphabet party? When I was in my early 20s they were all the rage, somehow everytime I was invited to one it was always a P party which meant dressing up as something beginning with the letter P. You can choose any letter of the alphabet however and today I’ve chosen the letter W.
Think of Witches and Wizards and …… whoopie cushions! There’s lots of fun costume ideas that start with W when you think about it!
Fancy dress parties or costume parties are so much more fun when they’re themed, but you don’t always want to have an 80s party, a Zombie gathering or even a Star Wars themed party. Choosing a letter to base your party around is fun because seeing how people interpret it can be really interesting…..some people really know how to think outside of the box.
Costumes Beginning with W – The List
- Waitress – You could get a waitress costume which usually consists of a black dress with a white apron. Alternatively you could wear black trousers or skirt and a white shirt or blouse and carry an order pad. Another idea is to dress up as one of the girls in 2 broke girls in their red and yellow uniform.
- Warlock – As Charmed showed us Warlocks can look like regular people really easily, but I usually think of them wearing a really cool longish black coat.
- Warrior – You could be any type of warrior from a Native American warrior to a Maori warrior or a Roman warrior to a Scottish warrior (like Braveheart). There’s lots of options for this costume idea.
- Wednesday Addams – You can find costume ideas for Wednesday on our Addams Family Costume Ideas post.
- Where’s Waldo/Wally – This is an easy costume to pull off, simply wear a pair of blue jeans with a red and white striped top and finish it off with a red and white striped hat complete with a red pom pom.
- Whoopie Cushion
Men’s Warlock Costume CoatWoopie Cushion Costume, One SizeMen’s William Shakespeare Costume
- Wicked Queen – The wicked queen from the Snow White story, otherwise referred to as Ravenna
- Wicked Witch – I always think of a wicked witch as being a bit of an old hag so when I’ve dressed up as one I’ve added a big ugly mole and tried to stick a hair growing out of it (the hair didn’t stay put for long thoug!), complete with a classic black witch costume and a few spells.
- William Shakespeare
- William Wallace – The Scot portrayed by Mel Gibson in the movie Braveheart.
- Willie Wonka – Who hasn’t heard of Willie Wonka and his chocolate factory, he’s been brought to life in the movies by two very talented actors; firstly Gene Wilder and then Johnny Depp.
- Wilma Flintstone – The long suffering wife of Fred Flintstone, this is a fun costume idea.
- Winnie the Pooh
- Winston Churchill
- Witch – There are lots of witch costumes from the classic black robes and broomstick to all manner of colored dresses. As long as you add a pointed hat it seems that you can be as glamorous or as dowdy a witch as you like!
The Flintstones Wilma Flintstone CostumeWitch Doctor Adult Costume2 Piece Storybook Witch Costume
- Witch Doctor – There seems to be two different looks that fit the witch doctor, one is that of a voodoo priest; the other is an African tribal doctor. Both costumes are a lot of fun.
- Wizard – From a traditional Merlin style of Wizard to Harry Potter this really is a magical costume idea.
- Wolf – There are lots of wolf costumes available to purchase or if you’re a Game of Thrones fan you can make sure you dress up as one of the Dire Wolves such as Ghost.
- Wonder Woman – Who doesn’t love the Amazonian super hero we call Wonder Woman?
- Woody (Toy Story)
If you’re looking for a different letter of the alphabet to dress up as then check out my A-Z of costumes page.
If you’re looking for costumes beginning with S then you’re in the right place! I have a wealth of different costumes starting with S from Superman to Sweet Pea and more so let’s check them out.
I compiled this page as a resource page for anyone who’s been invited to an alphabet party. An alphabet party is where you are given a letter and you have to dress up as something beginning with that letter. If you’re on this page I’m going to assume that the letter chosen is S. If you need other letters though I have you covered on my A-Z costume page, but let’s look at costumes beginning with S right now.
Costumes Beginning with S – The Big List
- Safari Explorer
- Saloon Girl
- Scarlett O’Hara – The star of the classic move Gone With The Wind you can actually check out some of Scarlett’s costume ideas on this post – Scarlett O’Hara Costumes.
- Scary Spice – One of the Spice Girls you can check out her costume of my Spice Girls Costume Ideas post.
- Scientist – all you need for this costume is a white lab coat, a funky wig would also look great if you want to go as a ‘mad’ scientist. A great idea is to get hold of some dry ice so that you can pour your drink over it and look like you’re mixing up some secret formula!
- Scooby Doo – I just love Scooby, definitely one of the best dog characters on television you can find the perfect Scooby costume on Scooby Doo Costumes.
- Scottish Costumes – Whether you like the traditional Scotsman costume that we all think of ie a kilt or whether you’ve been watching Braveheart and want to dress up as a Scottish warrior they’re both great ‘S’ costume ideas!
- Scotty – The Star Trek engineer on the Original Star Trek series.
- Scream – the ghostface character from the Scream movies who doesn’t appear to have a ‘real’ name.
- Scullery Maid
- Shaggy – Scooby’s best friend, you can find cool Shaggy costumes on my Scooby Doo Costumes post.
Scotish Warrior CostumeSaloon Girl CostumeStar Trek Scotty Costume
- Sherlock Holmes – The self-proclaimed most famous detective in the world! I like to think of Sherlock in the traditional way with a deer stalker hat, Victorian gentleman’s cape coat and a pipe.
- Sir Lancelot – One of the Knights of the Round Table in the days of King Arthur, Sir Lancelot is somewhat of a historical legend.
- Sixties Mod
- SkyBlu – One half of the group LMFAO.
- Sleeping Beauty
- Slot Machine
- Snake Charmer
- Snow Queen
- Snow White
- Soccer Player
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Spanish Bullfighter
- Spanish Dancer
- Spartan Warrior
- Spice Girl – any Spice Girl, check out all of the different Spice Girl costumes on the Spice Girls Costume Ideas post.
- Spock – A very logical costume idea from the original Star Trek series.
- Spongebob Squarepants
- Sporty Spice – One fifth of the popular 90s girl band the Spice Girls you can check out her costume on – Spice Girls Costume Ideas.
- Statue of Liberty
- Stormtrooper – There’s always someone in the group who wants to dress up as someone/something from Star Wars so why not be a Stormtrooper for the night.
- Sumo Wrestler
Women’s Supergirl CostumeInflatable Sumo Wrestler CostumeAdult Statue Of Liberty Costume
- Super Girl
- Sweeny Todd
- Sweet Pea – A character from the cult movie Sucker Punch you can check out her costume on my Sucker Punch Costume Ideas post.
- Sylvester (Looney Tunes)
Costumes Starting with N
Have you ever been to an alphabet party? When I was in my early 20s they were all the rage, somehow every time I was invited to one it was always a P party which meant dressing up as something beginning with the letter P. You can choose any letter of the alphabet however and today I’ve chosen the letter N.
Fancy dress parties or costume parties are so much more fun when they’re themed, but you don’t always want to have an 80s party, beach theme event or even a Star Wars themed party. Choosing a letter to base your party around is fun because seeing how people interpret it can be really interesting…..some people really know how to think outside of the box.
Costumes Beginning with the Letter N – The List
- Nacho Libre
- NASA Astronaut
- Native American Indian
- Ned Kelly
- Neo – Whether you were a fan of the Matrix movies or not, you’d have to agree the costumes were pretty awesome.
Nacho Libre CostumeNASA Astronaut CostumeNeptune Costume
- Nightwing – AKA Dick Grayson, the original Robin sidekick to Batman and ward to Bruce Wayne, Dick becomes Nightwing as he grows older and the costume is basically a black bodysuit with a blue wings motif along the top chest part with the blue going down the arms.
- Nikki Minaj
- Nineteen Eighties Yuppie – The economic boom of the 80s saw a new breed of upwardly mobile young people burst onto the scene believing the mantra ‘ greed is good’ and we called them Yuppies. Dress up in a designer suit and shoes, red braces and a loud tie and carry a brick like mobile phone if you’re a man. If you’re a woman be sure to wear a suit with big shoulder pads, stiletto heels, big ear rings and of course a brick mobile phone!
- Nineteen Fifties Boy – there are two options for a 50s boy, you can dress up like one of the T-Birds from Grease or you could be a Teddy Boy.
- Nineteen Fifties Girl – as with the male costume idea there are also two options for a 50s girl – in the style of Grease and the Pink Ladies or as a Teddy Girl
- Nineteen Thirties Film Star – Wear a full length backless gown cut on the bias with gloves and costume jewelry.
Nightwing CostumeNicki Minaj CostumeNinja Warrior Costume
- Nite Owl
- Nutty Professor
Fancy Dress Ideas Starting with I
Have you ever been to an alphabet party? When I was in my early 20s they were all the rage, somehow everytime I was invited to one it was always a P party which meant dressing up as something beginning with the letter P. You can choose any letter of the alphabet however and today I’ve chosen the letter I.
Fancy dress parties or costume parties are so much more fun when they’re themed, but you don’t always want to have an 80s party or a dazzling 1920s event. When it comes to the letter I you can dress up as things such as an ice cream, iron man or even Indiana Jones!
Costumes Beginning with I – The List!
- Ice Cream Costumes -Who doesn’t love ice cream? I know personally I love it in a myriad of flavors, but as a costume? Well it didn’t cross my mind until I was thinking of things that started with I, luckily other people had already thought of ice cream costumes as you can see from the selection below –
Ice Cream Cone Costume Set – One SizeRasta Imposta Ice Cream Sundae, Multi, One Size
- Ice Queen
- Icon – this could be a physical icon such as the Statue of Liberty or Eiffel Tower or it could mean an icon of the silver screen like Marilyn Monroe or Audrey Hepburn or even pop icons like Lady Gaga, Michael Jackson or Madonna or sporting icons……it almost gives you carte blanche!
- Imperial Guard – The Imperial Guard is one of the many types of soldiers from Star Wars, and although probably not a first choice for a costume idea, it wouldn’t be too hard to do. I don’t know about your group of friends, but I’ve found in most there’s at least one person who always wants to have a Star Wars themed costume, so they’ll be happy!
- Incredible Hulk – This costume has seen a surge in popularity since the Avenger’s movie franchise started up again. I’ve been a fan of the Hulk since the television program and love the costumes that you can now get that include the chest torso, although the sizes do seem to be on the small side by all accounts so get one early in case you need to change sizes.
Star Wars Imperial Guard CostumeLadies Eiffel Tower Costume DressAvengers 2 Age Of Ultron Adult Hulk Costume
- Incredibles – The Incredibles costumes gives you a chance to become Mr and Mrs Incredible if you want a couples costume for an ‘I’ party or even a whole super hero family if you’re after a group costume idea.
- Indian – From the old fashioned name for a Native American to Raj from The Big Bang Theory there’s a few different twists you can make on this costume idea.
- Indiana Jones
- Inspector Gadget – You can get a ready to wear costume or compile your own – a grey trench coat, fedora hat and neat black shoes is the start. Then you just have to work out how to add some gadget detailing to the hat, personally I’d get a ready made costume, but I know a coupld of people who would love spending the time creating and Inspector Gadget hat!
- Invisible Woman – Invisible Woman is one of the Fantastic Four, who can turn her body invisible, now I’m not sure how you’d manage that for a fancy dress event, but you could wear a blue jumpsuit with a ‘4’ logo on the front as in the movies she wears these – they’re also available as an official Marvel Comics costume.
- Irish Leprechaun
- Iron Man – Since Robert Downey Jr first pulled on the Iron Man suit this superhero has never been more popular, there’s also an updated version of the Iron Man costume after every movie!
Costumes Starting with G
Are you looking for costumes beginning with G? I’ve compiled together as many costume ideas as I could find that begin with the letter G – why you might add, well let me tell you about Alphabet Parties.
During my early 20s I was invited to a number of Alphabet Parties – Alphabet Parties are basically a party where you’re given a letter of the alphabet and you have to dress up as something beginning with that letter. I loved these parties I think it’s a great theme for a fancy dress party and so I’ve compiled a number of pages in an attempt to promote the idea so that more people can enjoy the fun.
The page you’ve found today has all of the fancy dress ideas I could think of that begin with the letter G, I’m sure there’s some I’ve missed so I welcome ideas from you in my guestbook at the bottom of the page – have fun in your costume whether you choose a ghost or a go go girl or something completely different.
- G I Jane
- G I Joe
- Gangster – now gangster could mean just about anything in a costume as it does just mean a member of a gang, but whenever I think of a gangster costume I think of the old time gangsters of the 20s with the pinstripe suits and firearms.
- Gangster Moll – As with the gangster costume above I always think of the 1920 gangster molls for a costume so get out your flapper dress, shake those pearls and don’t forget to pop a pistol into your bag in case things turn ugly!
- Gargoyle – depending who you speak to a gargoyle could be an architectural feature on a building to act as a spout or a mythical creature, personally I like to go with the mythological side, but either way it can be a great costume idea. I’ve recently discovered that you can buy a gargoyle costume, but I think it’s a fun diy costume idea. Wear grey clothing and use grey paint on your body, face and hair, some touches of green can be good if it can look like moss. Most gargoyles have a grotesque looking face so a mask is a great idea and there are lots of gargoyle masks available, or use any grotesque looking mask, preferably grey in color.
- Geisha – in order to properly carry off this costume you do have to remember that make up is essential. Geisha’s use a wax base and then make up to create a white face which then had extra make-up added to give the eyes and mouth effect.For tips on how to apply Geisha make up you can check out – How to Apply Geisha Makeup
- Gene Simmons – the lead singer of KISS how much fun would this costume be?
- Genghis Khan
Genghis Khan Adult CostumeWomen’s Genie In A Bottle CostumeGene Simmons – Kiss Costume
- George Washington
- Georgian Lady or Man – If you love the Georgian or Regency fashion styles from the times of Jane Austin then this could be a great costume idea. A white wig is essential, of course, but what about the actual costumes? I must admit while there are a few ready made Georgian costumes available to purchase the majority of these costumes that I’ve seen have been handmade.
- Ghost – Ghosts are a great idea for costumes whether you’re an adult or a child, a girl or a boy which is why they have their own post dedicated to cool ghostly outfits….
When I was younger dressing up as a ghost was the thing to do if you left it until the last minute to sort out your fancy dress costume. There was no going t…
- Ghostbusters – Ghostbusters were a classic 80s movie and this costume would be just at home at an 80s party as it would a G party or even just to go trick and treating on Halloween with. Check out my Ghostbusters post for cool costume ideas.
- Ginger Spice – this outspoken Spice Girl is a popular costume choice, you can get one of Geri’s costumes on my Spice Girl Costume post
- Gingerbread Man
- Glam Rock Singer – this could be a rather generic costume or just dress up as one of your favourite Glam Rock singers from David Bowie’s Ziggy Stardust to Gary Glitter, Alice Cooper or more.
- Glee Cheerleader
- Gods – The Greeks and Romans had a god or goddess for almost every aspect of their lives. Typically their gods (or goddesses) would be dressing in white robes/togas edged with gold or silver trim. Defining which deity you are can be done with accessories for example Diana would carry a bow and arrow. Then there are Norse gods so if you want to give your Thor costume an airing this is your chance!Of course if you can’t decide between the gods available in Greek, Roman or Norse lore then you could always put on a long robe, a white beard and just play the Old Testament version of god.
- Gomez – Gomez Addams is a person who needs no introduction and you can find a costume for him on my Addams Family Costume post
- Gondolier – from the canals of Venice come the singing Gondoliers, gentling manoevering the gondola’s around the waterways of Venice – traditionally dressed in blank trousers, a black and white striped top with a red necktie and red sash acting as a belt, top the costume off with a straw hat featuring a red ribbon.I should mention that when I was in Venice I also saw a few that just wore black trousers, a red and white striped top and a straw hat with red ribbon so…
- Gotham Girl – As you’d suspect a Gotham Girl is from Gotham City, the home of Batman, it’s actually an American Flash Animation series that focused on several of the female characters that hailed from Gotham City.These characters include Batgirl, Catwoman, Poison Ivy, and Harley Quinn. Dress up as either of these powerful women or better yet make this a group costume idea!
Harley Quinn CostumeAdult Catwoman CostumePoison Ivy Costume
- Grapes – you can purchase your own grape costume in both green or purple, but I know many people have successfully made their own diy grape costume and it’s actually very easy to do.First you’ll need to wear a body suit and then you need to have the lung capacity to blow up a lot of balloons.Simply attach the balloons all over your body suit (making sure they’re all either green or purple or red depending on the type of grape you want to be) and you have a home made bunch of grapes costumeI would also add a pair of the appropriate colored tights or leggings as well.
- Green Hornet
- Green Lantern
- Grim Reaper
Deluxe Green Hornet CostumeGreen Lantern Hal Jordan CostumeGrim Reaper Costume, Black
- Groucho Marx
- Gunslinger – evoke the Wild Wild West with your best cowboy for hire costume!
- Gypsy – there are a lot of different gypsy costumes available to buy or you can create your own. I had to come up with a costume idea at short notice a few years ago so I chose to dress up as a gypsy. I wore a loose peasant blouse, long skirt and draped a scarf over my head, then I armed myself with some cards and ‘pretended’ to read everyone’s future in the cards – a fun night and easy costume.