If you’re looking for some costumes beginning with Y then you’ve come to the right place. Star Wars fans will automatically think of Yoda and he’s certainly a popular ‘Y’ costume, but there are a few more including one of my childhood favorites – Yogi Bear!
I compiled this page along with a number of others as resource pages for anyone who’s been invited to an alphabet party. I used to get invited to a lot of alphabet parties when I was in my 20s and I think it’s high time they caught on again! In a nutshell you have to dress up as something beginning with a particular letter and if you’re on this webpage then the letter chosen is the letter Y! I have other webpages available that cover the rest of the letters of the alphabet, but let’s look at costumes beginning with Y right now.
NOTE: The author may receive a commission from purchases made from links in this article – more information below
Fancy Dress Ideas Starting with Y
- Yankee – From a northern Yankee soldier in the Civil War to Yankee Doodle Dandy or even a NY Yankee player or fan, there’s lots of options with this. You could even shorten it to Yank and go as a member of the US forces past or present.
- Yellow (M&M)
- Yellow Power Ranger
- Yoda – Yoda is an iconic Star Wars character and if you can spout off his words of wisdom then this is the costume for you, if you can’t think of anything ‘yodaish’ to say just stick to – I cannot teach him!
Adult Yoda CostumeYogi Bear Mascot CostumeAdults Yeti Costume
- Yoga Instructor – Simply wear a pair of yoga pants, a tank top and you could add a few scarves for a hippy vibe or a bandana for a more serious hardcore yoga instructor.
- Yogi Bear
- Yoko Ono – wear a hippy costume, long black hair and big dark round glasses
- Yondu – from Guardians of the Galaxy.
- Yoshi – a cool costume idea from Super Mario World, but which color Yoshi will you be? Green, Red, Blue or Yellow.
- Yuppie – Dress up as an upwardly mobile professional from the 80s, try and get one of the ‘brick’ style phones to really set off the costume.
Hi I’m Louanne from Everything Halloween, welcome to my blog! I just wanted to let you know that this post may contain affiliate links which means, at no cost to YOU, that I might receive compensation if you purchase something through a link on my site. In the online world this is called ‘affiliate marketing’ and is a very common way that bloggers make their money, if you want to find out more then check out this post to find out what is affiliate marketing and how we make money on this site, If you want to see my full affiliate disclosure and the other ‘legal stuff’ then click here.
Have you ever been to an alphabet party? When I was in my early 20s they were all the rage, somehow everytime I was invited to one it was always a P party which meant dressing up as something beginning with the letter P. You can choose any letter of the alphabet however and today I’ve chosen the letter O.
From Oscar the Grouch to the Oreo cookie there are lots of different costume ideas that start with the letter O – which one will you choose?
Fancy dress parties or costume parties are so much more fun when they’re themed, but you don’t always want to have an 80s party, 1920s dress up event or even a Star Wars themed party. Choosing a letter to base your party around is fun because seeing how people interpret it can be really interesting…..some people really know how to think outside of the box.
Costumes Starting with O – The List
- Obi Wan Kenobi – I think everyone knows someone who is obsessed with Star Wars so you can breathe easy that they can break out a Star Wars costume that starts with the letter O
- Olive Oyl – I remember watching Popeye cartoons growing up with Olive Oyl as his girlfriend – I can’t remember much about her (although I can’t get the ‘I’m Popeye the sailor man’ song out of my head now!), but the costume is instantly recognizable.
- Oompa Loompa – the orange complexioned Oompa Loompa’s were from one of my favorite childhood books – Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
- Opera Singer
- Operation – the game – I don’t know many people who haven’t played this game at least once during their childhood and I was tickled pink when I saw a photo online of someone dressed up in a homemade operation costume – awesome idea!
Rasta Imposta Men’s Octopus CostumeOperation Board Game Adult CostumeForum Novelties Orange Costume
- Optimus Prime – From the Transformers, I think this is a cool costume idea if you want to go with a readymade costume idea.
- Oreo – a great diy costume idea, the best one I have seen has even published a how to guide for you – DIY Oreo Cookie Costume.
- Orion Slave Girl – As seen in the original (and dare I say best!) Star Trek series the Orion Slave Girl was a green skinned girl in a skimpy bikini inspired outfit which is very popular at comic-con conventions and other sci-fi events.
- Orphan Annie
- Oscar Statue
- Oscar the Grouch – An instantly recognizable Sesame Street character that will be recognised by young and old alike.
- Ozzy Osbourne – this is a simple costume to carry off, simply don a long black wig, sunglasses and wear black.
The classic ‘P’ costume has to be pirates and let’s face it this is a costume that never gets old. No matter what age or sex you are everyone loves dressing up like a pirate even if it’s just so they can saw ‘aarrrrgh’ all night! There are so many different types of pirate costumes that you can dress up in you might want to checkout a post devoted to pirate costumes only – Pirate Fancy Dress Costumes. This costume post covers pirate costumes for men, women and children, it also looks at pirate hats, pirate boots and other pirate accessories that help bring together the best pirate costume ever!
Despite the overbearing urge to dress up as a pirate for a ‘P’ party or fancy dress events there are a lot of other options. You can choose from a PB&J Sandwich, a Peacock or numerous other ideas, let’s check them all out….
Costumes Starting with the Letter P
- Paddington Bear
- Paris – Paris can take a variety of interpretations. It could be the city or the Paris who caused the Trojan war on account of Helen of Troy. You could also go as Paris Hilton, the well-known socialite. Use a skimpy dress, a long blonde wig, and a small dog in a handbag to create that look.
- Pauly D (Jersey Shore) – Whether you’re a fan of the Jersey Shore or of the Pauly D Project this is a cool Pauly D costume to wear. I must admit I haven’t seen either program, but they certainly have a lot of fans.
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwich
- Pebbles -The Flintstones make great costume ideas for a fancy dress party and I’ve seen a number of Freds, Wilmas, Barneys and Bettys over the years, surprisingly I’ve never seen anyone dress up as Pebbles, but if you’re going to a P party it’s a pretty good choice
Long Hair Panda Bear Mascot CostumeJersey Shore Deluxe Pauly D CostumeWomen’s Peacock Costume
- Pepper Shaker
- Peter Pan – Who doesn’t love the story of Peter Pan? With the first name Peter and the second name Pan he is definitely a good choice for a ‘P’ party costume idea!
- Phantom of the Opera
- Pied Piper
- Pink Lady (Grease)
- Pink Panther
Phantom of the Opera Costume AdultPepper Shaker Costume – AdultCalifornia Costumes Men’s Pimp Costume
- Pirate – There are lots of different pirate costumes available, so many that they have their very own home – Pirate Fancy Dress Costumes
- Playing Cards
- Plo Kloon – I do my best to include a Star Wars character whenever I do a post on costumes beginning with just to keep my Star Wars friends happy!
- Poison Ivy
- Polar Bear
- Pop Art Outfits – Recently, costumes inspired by the style of Roy Lichtenstein have gone crazy on Pinterest they feature bright colors, dots etc. The main thing to get right is the quirky makeup – YouTube has a number of tutorials, then add a bright wig, the outfit itself should enhance the colors you’ve added to your face and your wig of course.
- Pop Idol – this could be any one from old time idols like Elvis to the likes of Jessie J
- Posh Spice – If you want to dress up as Posh Spice in her heyday then check out the Spice Girls Costume post.
- Potato Head
Rasta Imposta Women’s Pop Art GirlMr Potato Head Adult CostumePlaying Card – Ace of Spades – Costume
- Power Ranger – All you have to do is decide which Power Ranger you’d prefer, although personally I’d go with Pink as that also starts with P!
- Princes – Dress up as any number of princes from Prince Charming, Prince Caspian, Prince the musician or even Prince Charles!
- Princesses – There are lots of Princesses to dress up as from Princess Leia to Princess Fiona, not to mention any of the Disney Princesses
- Professor Dumbledore
- Professor Snape
- Punk – A range of outfits can be created with a punk theme. Build them with accessories including:
- Tartan clothing
- Leather trousers
- Studded dog collars
- Punk makeup – this can be heavy and non-realistic, using bold lines and bright colours around the features of the face with colours extending into the hair, which is gelled or spiked
- Pussy Galore
Fancy Dress Ideas Beginning with L
Have you ever been to an alphabet party? When I was in my early 20s they were all the rage, somehow every single time I was invited to one it was always a P party which meant dressing up as something beginning with the letter P. You can choose any letter of the alphabet however and today I’ve chosen the letter L.
Fancy dress parties or costume parties are so much more fun when they’re themed, but you don’t always want to have an 80s party,a James Bond themed cocktail evening or even a Star Wars themed party. Choosing a letter to base your party around is fun because seeing how people interpret it can be really interesting…..some people really know how to think outside of the box.
Costumes Beginning with L – The List
- Laa Laa – Instantly recognisable costume, I must admit I do find the Teletubbies a little annoying. I was so relieved when my daughter didn’t seem very taken with them 🙂
- Lady Bug – I absolutely loved Ladybirds or Lady Bugs (depending on where you’re from) as a child and I still think they make a gorgeous costume idea.
- Lady Gaga – Lady Gaga called herself the Queen of Reinvention when she first burst on her screens and she’s lived up to that with a range of ‘outrageous’ costumes which makes her a fun person to dress up as. Check out some of her costume ideas on these posts – Lady Gaga Official Costumes & Lady Gaga Bodysuit Inspired Costumes.
- Lady Godiva – For those of you who don’t know the story Lady Godiva rode into town on a white pony………..wearing absolutely nothing! Basically all you need is a skin colored body suit and a long blonde wig and you have a great costume.
- Lady Luck – Lady Luck is a fictional character that personifies luck, as she’s not really real you can dress up however you like as long as you include some symbols of luck from shamrocks to a rabbits foot or alternatively incorporate elements of gambling like dice and cards as she’s often called upon in places such as Vegas!
- Lancelot – Sir Lancelot was one of King Arthur’s most trusted advisors and a Knight of the Round Table. He is portrayed as a romantic figure and features in numerous Medieval romance stories.
- LAPD motorcycle cop – think Chips or The Village People
- Lara Croft
- Latin Dancer
- LEGO character
Lara Croft CostumeLegolas – Adult CostumeLatin Dancer Costume
- Leia – Princess Leia from Star Wars is a classic Star Wars costume that you can wear as a costume beginning with L too!
- Leonardo (TMNT)
- Lifeguard – If you have a Baywatch costume from previous years you can always use this for a Lifeguard costume.
- Lime Wedge – This is a fun costume, but a word to the wise people seem to get fed up with you constantly asking if anyone has seen your Corona…..and I thought it was funny
- Little Mermaid
- Lone Ranger
- Long John Silver – Pirate costumes are fun for all the family, so if you like pirates then Long John Silver is a great idea, check out our Pirate Costume post
- Luigi – Luigi needs no introduction to anyone born since the mid-80s as both Luigi and Mario have worked their way firmly into our pop culture.
- Luke Skywalker – Yet another Star Wars inspired costume beginning with L, perhaps if you’re attending a party as a couple you could go as Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia.
Fancy Dress Ideas That Begin with the Letter J
Have you ever been to an alphabet party? When I was in my early 20s they were all the rage, somehow everytime I was invited to one it was always a P party which meant dressing up as something beginning with the letter P. You can choose any letter of the alphabet however and today I’ve chosen the letter J.
Fancy dress parties or costume parties are so much more fun when they’re themed, but you don’t always want to have an 80s party, or even a Star Wars themed party. Choosing a letter to base your party around is fun because seeing how people interpret it can be really interesting…..some people really know how to think outside of the box.
There are some great costumes that begin with the letter J, but one which you may find easy to go as if it’s a last minute idea is James Bond. Provided you can say, “The name’s Bond, James Bond,” and you don’t mind drinking martinis all night this is a pretty easy costume as it only requires a suit or a tux – add a toy gun and you’re licenced to thrill!
Let’s look at a few other costume ideas….
Costumes Beginning with J – The List
- Jabba the Hutt
- Jabbawockeez Costume – This dance crew is famous for wearing masks, you can dress up as a simple member or use it as a group costume idea.
- Jack the Ripper – The real Jack the Ripper was never caught, but that doesn’t stop him from becoming a Halloween costume!
- Jackie Kennedy Onassis
- Jackson Five – A great group costume idea if you’re going with friends
- Jake Sully – Jake Sully is the true blue hero of the hit movie Avatar (sorry I couldn’t resist that pun!) and is a fun fancy dress costume to wear.
- James Bond – Add a suit, a gun and introduce yourself as Bond, James Bond and you’ll be licensed to have fun all night!
- James Dean
- Jane – ‘Me Tarzan, you Jane,’ this is a classic ‘J’ costume for women. The Jane costume featured below doesn’t come with the spear, but personally I would look at getting one as a prop because it really adds to it.
- Jango Fett – Star Wars costumes are always a hit at parties. It’s hard to believe that the very first Star Wars movie was released back in 1977.
The whole Star Wars franchise still has a hoard of faithful followers around the globe. If you’re one of them then this costume is just one of the ‘J’ costumes available for you.
- Jason (Friday 13th)
Deluxe Jango Fett Adult CostumeTarzan Jungle Jane CostumeFriday The 13th Jason Costume
- Jeannie (I Dream of Jeannie)
- Jedi Knight
- Jessica Rabbit
- Jessie (Toy Story) – From the hugely successful Toy Story movies comes Jessie. What more can I say? The Toy Story franchise continues to be hugely popular which means that this is a ‘J’ costume that will be instantly recognized by children and parents alike!
- Jessie J
- Jester – A court Jester is a fun and bright costume idea that should bring a smile to everyone’s face. Sporting events often see Team Jester Hats worn by supporters so if you’re trying to put together a quick costume you ‘might’ get away with wearing one of those. – Check out a collection of Court Jester costumes here!
- Jigsaw Puppet – The movie Saw gave us the protaganist Jigsaw when it became an unexpected box office hit which followed with another 5 movies.
- Jimi Hendrix
- Joan of Arc – I love the idea of dressing up as Joan of Arc, forget mythical super heroes this is a girl who kicked some serious $#@*. While I always think of the warrior style of costumes that are sold as Joan of Arc costumes another idea would be to create one with a pole at your back and a pile of wood at your feet with crepe paper flames leaping up – now that would be a cool costume idea – Joan of Arc burning at the stake!
Women’s Jessie CostumeMen’s Jesus CostumeJoan Of Arc Costume
- Joker – The Joker is one of the classic Batman villains. The late Heath Ledger did an outstanding job of portraying the Joker on the big screen before his death which is why this is the most popular version of the Joker costume out there. Now that the Suicide Squad has been made into a movie there’s yet another version of the Joker to choose from!
- Josephine – If you’re feeling like a historical period costume then what about Napoleon’s Empress Josephine? If your friends know their history they will know who you are if not….
- Juliet – If you want to go around saying ‘Romeo, Romeo, where for art thou Romeo/’ or words to that effect then the romantic Juliet from Romeo and Juliet is the costume for you!
- Julius Caesar – One of the most famous of the Roman Emperors.