If you’re looking for costumes beginning with S then you’re in the right place! I have a wealth of different costumes starting with S from Superman to Sweet Pea and more so let’s check them out.
I compiled this page as a resource page for anyone who’s been invited to an alphabet party. An alphabet party is where you are given a letter and you have to dress up as something beginning with that letter. If you’re on this page I’m going to assume that the letter chosen is S. If you need other letters though I have you covered on my A-Z costume page, but let’s look at costumes beginning with S right now.
NOTE: The author may receive a commission from purchases made from links in this article – more information below
Costumes Beginning with S – The Big List
- Safari Explorer
- Saloon Girl
- Scarlett O’Hara – The star of the classic move Gone With The Wind you can actually check out some of Scarlett’s costume ideas on this post – Scarlett O’Hara Costumes.
- Scary Spice – One of the Spice Girls you can check out her costume of my Spice Girls Costume Ideas post.
- Scientist – all you need for this costume is a white lab coat, a funky wig would also look great if you want to go as a ‘mad’ scientist. A great idea is to get hold of some dry ice so that you can pour your drink over it and look like you’re mixing up some secret formula!
- Scooby Doo – I just love Scooby, definitely one of the best dog characters on television you can find the perfect Scooby costume on Scooby Doo Costumes.
- Scottish Costumes – Whether you like the traditional Scotsman costume that we all think of ie a kilt or whether you’ve been watching Braveheart and want to dress up as a Scottish warrior they’re both great ‘S’ costume ideas!
- Scotty – The Star Trek engineer on the Original Star Trek series.
- Scream – the ghostface character from the Scream movies who doesn’t appear to have a ‘real’ name.
- Scullery Maid
- Shaggy – Scooby’s best friend, you can find cool Shaggy costumes on my Scooby Doo Costumes post.
Scotish Warrior CostumeSaloon Girl CostumeStar Trek Scotty Costume
- Sherlock Holmes – The self-proclaimed most famous detective in the world! I like to think of Sherlock in the traditional way with a deer stalker hat, Victorian gentleman’s cape coat and a pipe.
- Sir Lancelot – One of the Knights of the Round Table in the days of King Arthur, Sir Lancelot is somewhat of a historical legend.
- Sixties Mod
- SkyBlu – One half of the group LMFAO.
- Sleeping Beauty
- Slot Machine
- Snake Charmer
- Snow Queen
- Snow White
- Soccer Player
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Spanish Bullfighter
- Spanish Dancer
- Spartan Warrior
- Spice Girl – any Spice Girl, check out all of the different Spice Girl costumes on the Spice Girls Costume Ideas post.
- Spock – A very logical costume idea from the original Star Trek series.
- Spongebob Squarepants
- Sporty Spice – One fifth of the popular 90s girl band the Spice Girls you can check out her costume on – Spice Girls Costume Ideas.
- Statue of Liberty
- Stormtrooper – There’s always someone in the group who wants to dress up as someone/something from Star Wars so why not be a Stormtrooper for the night.
- Sumo Wrestler
Women’s Supergirl CostumeInflatable Sumo Wrestler CostumeAdult Statue Of Liberty Costume
- Super Girl
- Sweeny Todd
- Sweet Pea – A character from the cult movie Sucker Punch you can check out her costume on my Sucker Punch Costume Ideas post.
- Sylvester (Looney Tunes)
Hi I’m Louanne from Everything Halloween, welcome to my blog! I just wanted to let you know that this post may contain affiliate links which means, at no cost to YOU, that I might receive compensation if you purchase something through a link on my site. In the online world this is called ‘affiliate marketing’ and is a very common way that bloggers make their money, if you want to find out more then check out this post to find out what is affiliate marketing and how we make money on this site, If you want to see my full affiliate disclosure and the other ‘legal stuff’ then click here.
Fancy Dress Outfits Starting with M
If you’re looking for costumes that begin with M for a themed party then I’ve compiled a great list for you from the irrepressible M&Ms to classic costumes like Maid Marion or a Matador. Of course there’s lots more to choose from including some great ones for children of the 80s like Maverick, Madonna and Michael Jackson (yes I know Madonna and Michael Jackson weren’t just in the 80s, but their iconic costumes were!)
I’ve compiled this page with a range of others as I used to attend alphabet parties in my 20s and they were so much fun. I read a few years ago that they were making a comeback so for those of you who draw a blank when you have to come up with ideas for costume party here’s your resource list
Cool Costumes Beginning with M
I’ve put these costume ideas in alphabetical order, I don’t know if that will make it easier for you or not, but it helped me to make sure I didn’t double up on ideas!
- M&Ms – I love these costumes and if there’s a group of you going to a ‘M’ themed event then you can go as different colored M&Ms which is a very effective group costume.
- Mad Hatter – everyone loves the Mad Hatter and he’s so much fun to dress up as whether you choose the classic version or Johnny Depp’s version.
- Madame Pompadour – Madame Pompadour was chief mistress to France’s King Louis XV from the 1740s to her death in the 1760s so if you want a historical costume then this would be a great person to dress up as.
- Madonna – there are lots of great costumes that Madonna has worn, I tend to think of her Desperately Seeking Susan look when I first think of dressing up as her, but you could always wear her pink dress from Material Girl where she was basically copying Madonna or her ‘Like a Virgin’ wedding dress outfit.
- Mae West – blonde and glamorous actress from Hollywood’s classic years of the 1930s and 40s Mae West was known for her risque double entrendres which means she could be a fun person to dress up as……you could get away with saying all sorts!
- Mafia man or woman – pinstriped 1930 suits with machine guns or baseball bats.
- Magenta (Rocky Horror Picture Show)
- Magnum PI – dust off an old Hawaiian shirt and get a moustache and you’re one of Tom Selleck’s most lovable characters.
- Mahatma Ghandi
- Maid – From a Victorian scullery maid to a sexy French maid there’s a few different looks you could try out if you go with the idea of a maid. Even a hotel housekeeper costume comes under ‘maid service’ doesn’t it?
- Maid Marion – I love some of the costumes that are available if you choose to dress up as Maid Marion, in fact if you love Medieval costumes of any description this is a great idea and I have actually written another page devoted to Maid Marion costumes –
Maid Marion Costumes
I always think of Maid Marion as a romantic heroine of a Medieval tale which makes Maid Marion costumes the ultimate renaissance costume for a lady.
Man-Eating Shark Costume
- Maleficent – it can be fun playing a villain and Maleficent does have a very iconic headdress to make her stand out from the crowd!
- Malfoy – if you’re a Harry Potter fan then you can even dress up as one of the characters, even if it is Malfoy!
- Man Eating Shark – this is a fun costume idea that I could see my hubby and a number of his friends wearing!
- Marathon Runner – If you’ve left your costume to the last minute or you just want to wear something that you can make yourself then this is the one for you. Simply put on a pair of shorts and a t-shirt, some running shoes and get two bits of paper with a number on them and stick one on your back and one on your front. A sports bottle adds another nice touch and you could also spray a little water onto your t-shirt to emulate sweat if you really wanted to.
- Marc Anthony
- Marc Bolan
- Marge Simpson
- Marie Antoinette
- Marilyn Monroe – Marilyn really did have a number of iconic costumes which is why she has her own Marilyn Monroe costume post.
Women’s Deluxe Marilyn White Dress CostumeMarilyn Monroe Hot Pink Costume
- Marshall aka a sheriff from the wild, wild west
- Martini Glass – Check out my Martini Costumes post, even your dog can come as a drink we like to serve shaken not stirred!
- Mary – there are lots of different Mary’s to dress up as from the Virgin Mary to Mary out of the nursery rhyme, Mary had a Little Lamb. Then you have Mary I of England or her cousin Mary Queen of Scots which gives you the chance to wear a Tudor costume. Another popular Mary costume choice is Mary Poppins, or else you could dress up as Mary Quant, the sixties Mod fashion designer.
- Mash personnel – you can dress up as characters from the television series like Hawkeye, Radar or Hotlips or just dress up as Mash personnel in general.
- Mask (The)
- Masked Crusader (yet another name for Batman)
- Matador, another name for bullfighter in case you’re not sure.
- Matrix Character – If you’ve still got a Trinity or Neo costume you want to show off then just say you’re a Matrix character, alternatively you could dress in a suit and black sunglasses as Agent Smith yet another Matrix character.
- Maverick – either from Top Gun or the James Garner character from the old American Western television series.
- MC Hammer – probably the only time you have a legitimate excuse to wear gold ‘hammer pants’!
MC Hammer Costume
- Medieval person, dress up in medieval costume as just about anyone you like!
- Medusa – a great costume for anyone who isn’t afraid of snakes!
- Melisandre – otherwise known as the Red Woman from the hugely popular Game of Thrones.
- Men in Black – Simply wear a suit and black wayfarers and you’re good to go as one of the Men in Black.
- Mexican bandit
- Mexican Taco
- Michael Jackson – there are lots of different MJ costumes to choose from including the Thriller look or the Billie Jean look or his Bad ensemble.
- Michael Jordan
- Michonne – from the hit show The Walking Dead
- Mickey Mouse
- Military personnel – rather than saying you’re a navy seal, army sarge, airforce pilot just dress up in your favourite military costume and say you’re military personnel and anything else is classified!
- Mime Artist
- Minion (from Despicable Me)
Despicable Me Minions Mascot Costume
- Minister – a cabinet minister or a church minister the choice is yours.
- Minnie Mouse
- Minotaur – with the head of a bull and the body of a man this is an unmistakable costume.
- Minstrel – a medieval musician who composed their own songs, you’ll just need to wear a medieval costume and carry a lute or similar instrument.
- Miss Piggy – definitely one of my favorite Muppets.
- Moll (basically a flapper outfit or ladies gangster costume)
- Monarch Butterfly – I’ve only seen these costumes in the last couple of years and they really are gorgeous.
- Money – You can buy costumes that are fashioned after money, but this is also one you can make yourself. Cut out a big piece of cardboard and draw on it as though it were a dollar bill and stick it to your outfit. Alternatively just stick lots of Monopoly money all over you.
- Monk – a monk is a very easy costume to wear as it’s very forgiving if you don’t have quite the right figure! I also like the idea of getting a monk costume as it could double as a Friar Tuck costume as well as a Sheldon Cooper costume (remember the episode where they attended a Renaissance Fair and he got annoyed at the historical inaccuracies?)
- Monster – From the Cookie Monster to Frankenstein there are lots of different monsters and costumes to choose from.
- Morpheus – from the Matrix
- Morris dancer – a traditional form of English folk dancing Morris dancers have been performing since the Middle Ages.
- Mortal Kombat characters
- Morticia Addams – from the Addams family, still a popular costume choice which is why they have their very own post – The Addams Family Costume Ideas.
- Moulin Rouge dancers
- Mountie – Canada’s finest.
- Movie Star – think red carpet style if you want to be generic or just choose your favourite actor and dress up as them.
- Mr Bean
- Mr Potato Head
- Mr T – I pity the fool who chooses to dress up as Mr T!
- Mummy – there are some great costumes that you can buy that give the illusion that you’re wrapped in bandages and I really recommend using them. Years ago I used actual bandages to wrap myself up as a mummy for a fancy dress costume and it was great, until I realized I needed to go to the toilet that was!!
- Munsters – this is another great opportunity for a group costume.
- Muppet – dress up as any of the Muppets from Kermit to Miss Piggy or from Animal to the Swedish Chef.
- Mustard – there are a couple of different costumes available for mustard from mustard sachets to bottles and they are good, I’ve only seen the bottle ones in real life when a couple at a Halloween event were wearing mustard and ketchup bottles.
Fancy Dress Outfits Starting with the Letter D
Note: The author may receive a commission from purchases made using links found in this article – more information can be found on our disclosure page.
If you’re looking for costume ideas that start with the letter D then you’ve come to the right place as I have selected some great costumes for you to choose from. Star Wars fans will love to see that Darth Vader is available while Scooby fans can enjoy dressing up as Daphne, but there are many other costumes to choose from besides those.
I compiled this page along with a number of others as resource pages for anyone who’s been invited to an alphabet party. I used to get invited to a lot of alphabet parties when I was in my 20s and I think it’s high time they caught on again! In a nutshell you have to dress up as something beginning with a particular letter and if you’re on this webpage then the letter chosen is the letter D! I have other webpages available that cover the rest of the letters of the alphabet, but let’s look at costumes beginning with D right now.
Cool Costumes Beginning with D
- Dad’s Army – costumes based on this old British television comedy about the Home Guard during the war would be good and you could use this as a group costume idea as well.
- Daffy Duck
- Daisy Duke
- Dalai Lama
- Dallas Cowboy or even a Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader
- Dame Edna Everage
- Dancers – A great costume idea that starts with D is a dancer and this is where you can have a lot of fun because there’s so many interpretations of dancer from Ballerina to a hip hop dancer and more. There really are lots of different ideas that you can use for this brief from Morris dancers to dancers from Greece, Tibet or more in traditional costume.
Women’s Spanish Dancer CostumeWomen’s Black Swan Ballet Dancer CostumeWomen’s Belly Dancer Costume
- Danger Mouse
- Danny – from the cult hit musical Grease
- Daphne – from everyone’s favorite….Scooby Doo
- Dark Knight
- Dark Menace
- Dart Board – there is a ready made dart board costume available to buy, but this one is pretty easy to make yourself by getting some cardboard and cutting out two circles to stick on your t-shirt or jumper – one on the front with the Dart Board marked out and one on the back that you can keep plain black as the back of the board.
- Darth Maul
- Darth Vader – I love the idea of dressing up as Darth Vader just so that I can put on his voice with the only phrase I can ever remember of his – Luke, I am your father!
- Dead Costumes – Now I know what you’re thinking – dead isn’t a costume! It is, however a cool idea especially with the rise of shows such as The Walking Dead and the interest in zombies that seems to be constantly growing.You dress up as a Dead Bride, Dead Groom, Dead Cheerleader, Dead Cowboy, you get the idea.A cool idea is to take the costume you wore last time you had a fancy dress event and basically ‘trash it’, roll around on grass, smudge it with dirt and maybe rip it a little until it looks like it could’ve been dug up and say you’re a dead ?.Alternatively you can just buy a ready made costume like the ones below or check out some of the ideas on other posts such as zombie costumes for men, zombie costumes for women, zombie costumes for boys or zombie costumes for girls.
Man’s Zombie Doctor CostumeZombie School Girl CostumeStar Wars Death Trooper Costume
- Deadshot – A member of the super villains known as the Suicide Squad.
- Dealer – I originally thought of a card dealer, but you could also dress up as a used car dealer!
- Death Eater
- Death Tarot Card
- Deck of Cards
- Dennis the Menace
- Detective – just wear your own clothes and carry a badge, you could say you’re undercover. Alternatively dress up as one of the famous detectives from Poirot to Sherlock Holmes.
- (Princess) Diana
- Diana Ross
- Dick Dastardly
- Disco – Dancers or Ball. There are lots of disco dancer costumes available to buy or you may be able to raid your grandparents (or parents) wardrobes for some cool clothes to put together an outfit. Another idea is to just go as a disco ball which is definitely a diy costume idea.
- Dipsy – One of the teletubbies.
- Disney Costumes – You could dress up as a Disney Princess, Disney Fairy or just about any Disney character actually and then when people say something like why are you dressed as Lilo or Ollie the Pig you can look at them with a withering stare and say actually I’m dressed as a Disney character!
Death Card – Tarot Card CostumeDiana Ross Sexy Black CostumeMen’s Dinosaur Plush Costume
- Doc – one of the Seven Dwarfs
- Doctor – From wearing a white coat and being a doctor to the likes of Doctor Who or Doctor Evil there’s lots of different costume ideas.
- Dog the Bounty Hunter
- Doll – again there’s lots of different ideas here from rag dolls to china dolls and more. There’s some great doll face tutorials on youtube and/or pinterest which you could use and then pop on a party dress and be a little china doll.
- Dollar Bill
- Dolly Parton
- Domino – I haven’t actually seen a domino costume, but I think it would be a really easy one to make, simply wear a black dress with a white belt and stick some white dots on the front – too easy!
- Donnatello – one of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles we all love.
- Dopey – or in fact any Dwarf would be a D wouldn’t it?
- Dora the Explorer – or even her cousin Diego
- Dorothy – from the Wizard of Oz or even Dorothy the Dinosaur from the Wiggles.
- Draculaura – one of the original Monster High dolls, you can check out some of her costume ideas on the Draculaura Costume Ideas post
- Drag Queen
- Dragon – from some of the cartoon dragon costumes to some sexy dragon costumes I personally like the idea of dressing up as a Chinese dragon.
- Driver – Nascar driver to chauffeur, it’s your choice.
- Drummer – just carry drum sticks if you’ve run out of time to get a costume made, alternatively dress up as a famous drummer.
- Drum Majorette
- Drunk – A drunk could be a very fun costume idea and great as a last minute outfit. Basically you can wear anything, but carry an empty glass or bottle and bump into lots of things slurring your words at the same time.
- Dummy – from a crash test dummy to a shop mannequin
- Dunce – all you need to do is wear a school uniform and make yourself a hat with a D on it.
For more cool costume ideas that start with a particular letter of the alphabet be sure to check out my A-Z of Costume Ideas.