Fun, Cool & Just Plain Great Group Costume Ideas!
If you want to dress up as a group for Halloween this year (or any other fancy dress event for that matter) then I’ve got some great ideas for you. There’s something really fun with having a group of you dressed as a group and it can make for a great night out for everyone.
Inspiration for group costumes come from just about anywhere – musical groups, television shows, films even everyday life. The hardest thing is to get everyone to agree on the costume idea which is where I come in. I’ve compiled a list of group costume ideas that you can all look through and see if one of them stands out to you all as the perfect one.
Group Costume Ideas Based on Music Groups
There are some music groups/bands who are instantly recognizable and so make a great idea for a group costume, here are some of the ones that spring to mind-
- Abba – The 70s pop group were known for their costumes and if you feel like turning into ‘Dancing Queens’ for the night then this is a cool costume idea for a group of 4 (it should be 2 couples, but I’ve seen a few male Agnetha and Frida’s in my time and they’ve been quite funny!).
- Kiss – Crack out the face paint and the platform boots for this group costume idea, another great costume idea for a group of four.
- The Beatles – The fab four are another cool group costume idea and if there’s 8 of you you could try a ‘Beatles through the ages’ theme with their basin hair cuts and suits through to the longer haired Sergeant Pepper days.
- The Spice Girls – For five girls you know that you want to dress up as the Spice Girls, it’s what you ‘really, really want’! This is another fun group costume that is instantly recognizable.
- The Village People – This six piece group are one of the groups that several generations recognize straight way and are likely to start people singing earwig disco songs such as Macho Man and YMCA!
- Z Z Top – This Texan three piece group make another cool costume idea for a small group and you can see how to get the look below.
ZZ Top Costume Ideas
Perfect for a Small Group of 3
This Texan trio are best known for the beards that two of their members sport – the third member has Beard as a surname so doesn’t actually need to have one!
You actually have a lot of latitude with what you can wear to accompany these beards as ZZ Top have been around for quite a while and have been seen in a few different outfits over that time.
The most well known look was probably the one that coincided with their album Eliminator hitting the mainstream charts for that look you want the two bearded members of the band to be wearing black suits with the non-bearded Mr Beard wearing black trousers with a long black duster coat. All three of them should be sporting hats similar in shape to the one featured in the image below along with some black sunglasses.
Of course another look that their fans are very familiar with sees them in jeans and leather jackets along with either hats (again like the one pictured) or skull caps and their sunglasses.
Personally I think as long as you all wear sunglasses and two of you sport these beards (and to really ‘sell’ it a couple of guitars – Frank Beard is the drummer so don’t have him with a guitar!) it won’t matter what else you wear everyone will know you’re ZZ Top.
Group Costume Ideas Based on Television Shows
Some of our favorite television shows have given us some great ideas for group costumes including these –
- Care Bears
- Sesame Street
- Star Trek
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
- The A-Team
- The Addams Family
- The Big Bang Theory
- The Brady Bunch
- The Flintstones
- The Munsters
- The Muppets
- The Mystery Inc Crew (aka Scooby Doo & friends)
- The Simpsons
You used to be able to purchase these Teletubbie costumes in a set of four which was really cool, but I’m having trouble sourcing a set at the moment so you have to purchase your favorite teletubbies seperately.
The lovable green Teletubbie is Dipsy whereas the red Teletubbie is called Po. The yellow Teletubbie is called Laa Laa and rather surprisingly, considering that a lot of people just don’t suit the color yellow, this is the costume that I’ve seen more people wearing than any other Teletubbie outfit. Purple is my favorite color which means that out of all of these cuddly Teletubbies Tinky Winky here is the one I prefer!
Group Costume Ideas Based on Movies
Movies are another source of inspiration when it comes to thinking of group costume ideas, from classic movies to more modern ones that are certainly a lot of them to think about. Here are a few that spring to mind
- 300 (Spartans – see below for a costume idea)
- Sucker Punch
- The Avengers
- The Wizard of Oz
- The Suicide Squad
Spartan Warrior Costumes
Awesome Idea for a Group Costume!
Dressed up as Spartan Warriors you can all say you’re extras from the movie 300! The movie was based on 300 Spartans who stood up against an army of 100,000+.
More Group Costume Ideas
There are lots more ideas for group costumes that don’t belong in any of the categories above –
- Alice in Wonderland Characters – Someone obviously has to be Alice and then it’s simply a case of choosing the best known characters until everyone in your group has a costume. The bigger the group the more less known the characters that will add to the ‘ensemble’.
- Angry Birds – You can get all of the different Angry Birds characters in costume so it’s just a case of everyone choosing their favorites.
- Batman, Robin & all the Villains – Make sure that you have Batman and Robin covered and maybe even Alfred and then simply add the villains until everyone in your group is covered – there’s certainly plenty of villains to choose from including the Penguin, the Joker, Poison Ivy etc. Don’t forget the Suicide Squad! Another great group costume idea.
- Crayons – You can get some great Crayola costumes (although these are designed for ladies) in various colors so if you all chose a different color you can say you’re a box of crayons, but you lost your box!
- Ever After High School Pupils
- Green Army Men Figures
- Guess Who ‘People’ – This is a costume that I’ve seen images of and is definitely in the diy Halloween costume column. If you need instructions check out Homemade Guess Who Characters.
- Hip Hop Dance Crew – Whether you go with a Jabbawockeez Halloween costume, Remix Monkeys or a dance crew from any of the popular dance themed movies.
- Lego Minifigures
- M & Ms – You can actually buy sets of group M&M costumes or you could just buy/make the costumes yourselfs, just make sure you’re all different colors, the room won’t be big enough for two Reds for example!
- Mickey, Minnie & Friends
- Monster High Pupils – If you’re after this costume ideas for a group of young girls you can check out – MHS Costumes for Girls.
- Oompa Loompas – From Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory the Oompa Loompas make a fun costume and I’ve even seen a group of people dressed up as them at an international rugby match in recent years – they certainly stand out on camera!
- Pac Man – You can buy a set of group costumes (see below for one example) for this idea yourself – they’re available for sets of 5 or 6 and feature Pac Man himself along with the ghosts.
- Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs
- Tetris Blocks – This is a very cool costume ideas that is easy to make at home as it simply requires lots of cardboard boxes, paint and black electrical tape. There are lots of pages that show you how to make them online, here’s one of them – The Diary of Tetris.
- The Smurfs
- The Tudors – You can dress as a group of Tudor peasants or a group of Tudor aristocrats for a fun costume idea. If you wanted to you could also dress as famous Tudor people whether it’s Henry VIII and all six of his wives or all of the Tudor monarchs together is up to you!
- The Wiggles – a pair of black trousers and different colored skivvies are all you need to be The Wiggles and if there’s more than four of you in the group then you can get one of you to dress up as Captain Feathersword, another as Dorothy the Dinosaur and just keep working through these favorite children’s characters until your group are all in fancy dress……..watch out though if you’re too good you might get booked for a child’s birthday party!
- Winnie the Pooh & Friends
Pac Man Group Costume Set
The great thing about this costume idea is that all of the costumes are unisex so it really doesn’t matter what the make up of your group is – all male, all female or a mixed bunch.
I do love the idea of this costume as I’m an eighties girl at heart and Pacman has certainly become known as THE video game of the decade (in all honesty I preferred Space Invaders, but Pacman obviously had a better PR person behind them!!)