If you’re looking for costumes beginning with A it can sometimes be hard to know where to start. I’ve compiled a great selection of costume ideas for you to browse and I’m sure just looking at some of these you’ll come up with your own ideas that I’ve missed!
I was inspired to write this list as I used to attend a lot of alphabet parties when I was younger and they were so much fun! A few years ago I read about them making a come back and I was cheering to myself!
If you’ve been invited to an alphabet party then I have you covered with all of the letters of the alphabet starting with this post.
- Abba – this is a great idea for a group costume that begins with A and it’s also popular for 70s or 80s themed parties too.
- Abominable Snowman – yet another name for a Yeti, a perfect winter costume under all that fur!
- Abraham Lincoln
- Action Hero – An action hero could leave this wide open for costume ideas from your favorite superhero to a movie hero like John McClane from the Die Hard Movies. Personally I think the super heros will be the most popular at the moment as they seem to overtake most themed parties these days.
- Action Man
- Adam – wear a nude bodysuit with a strategically placed fig leaf!
- Adam Ant – The biggest thing that I think of when I think of Adam Ant is the white stripe across his nose! You can actually get Adam Ant costumes and other cool costume ideas on my 80s Costumes for Men post.
- Addams Family – another group costume idea that is sure to be popular, especially among the kooky!
- Air Force Officer
- Air Hostess
- Airline Pilot
- Al Capone
- Albert Einstein – everyone’s favorite scientist, just be sure to know a few formulas to sprinkle into conversation with this costume. You can purchase ‘instant disguise’ kits which feature his moustache and a wig, the two recognizable bits of any Einstein costume.
- Ali G – Ali G is a character made famous by Sasha Baron Cohen and is a fancy dress outfit that will make everyone sit up and take notice…..the bonus is that if you can fake the accent you could get away with saying all manner of things!
- Alice in Wonderland – there are a few different options for this costume – the traditional Alice costume, the movie themed costume or a ‘sexy Alice’ costume
- Alien – this is a fun costume because it allows you a lot of latitude, after all no one really knows what aliens look like so you can let your imagination run wild or just draw on some of your favorite movie alien forms.
- American Footballer
- Amy Winehouse – Everyone will know you’re Amy Winehouse as her over the top beehive hair is instantly recognizable, even by people who don’t listen to her music!
- Anakin Skywalker – Now I grew up with the movie – Luke I am your father – so it’s kind of hard to give him another name other than Darth Vader, but before he was Darth Vader his name was Anakin Skywalker.
- Angel – Angels are a nice easy costume to wear, a flowing white dress and a halo and you’re a classic angel! You can purchase your own angel costume here or you can fashion florist wire or a coat hanger into a halo and wrap tinsel or white fur around it. Of course you don’t have to stick to a ‘classic angel’ costume, there’s also the angel of death, a fallen angel, a dark angel etc
- Angry Birds – there are a few different Angry Birds that you can dress up as which means you can come on your own in one of the costumes or as a group of Angry Birds. Here’s a page with a range of these costumes on it – Angry Birds Costumes
- Anne Boleyn – Henry VIII’s second wife and mother of Queen Elizabeth I Anne Boleyn is certainly one of the more famous of Tudor women!
- Annie Oakley
- Apache Indian
- Aphrodite – The Greek goddess of love – Aphrodite can be a great fancy dress outfit beginning with the letter A. I must admit the funniest Aphrodite costume I ever saw was worn by a man (he lost a bet) and he got so much attention all night.
- Apple – When you first learn your ABCs you learn that A is for Apple so it’s hardly surprising that when you’re trying to think of a costume beginning with A then an apple springs to mind. I’ve found two cool, unisex apple costumes for you to choose from –
- Army Officer
- Arnold Schwarzenegger
- Astronaut – If you’ve ever wanted to go into space you can ‘pretend’ in this costume! Most boys men seem to like dressing up as an Astronaut so this costume if very popular!
- Audrey Hepburn – Audrey Hepburns most iconic image is this one where she played Holly Golightly in the classic movie Breakfast at Tiffanys. Add a cigarette holder and a wig and you’ve got an awesome costume here that everyone will instantly recognise.
- Austin Powers
- Avengers – Check out some of the Avengers costume ideas here – The Avengers Costumes
If you’re interested in checking out costumes beginning with another letter of the alphabet the quickest way is to pop over to my A-Z of costumes page, you won’t regret it.