Fancy Dress Outfits Starting with M
If you’re looking for costumes that begin with M for a themed party then I’ve compiled a great list for you from the irrepressible M&Ms to classic costumes like Maid Marion or a Matador. Of course there’s lots more to choose from including some great ones for children of the 80s like Maverick, Madonna and Michael Jackson (yes I know Madonna and Michael Jackson weren’t just in the 80s, but their iconic costumes were!)
I’ve compiled this page with a range of others as I used to attend alphabet parties in my 20s and they were so much fun. I read a few years ago that they were making a comeback so for those of you who draw a blank when you have to come up with ideas for costume party here’s your resource list
Cool Costumes Beginning with M
I’ve put these costume ideas in alphabetical order, I don’t know if that will make it easier for you or not, but it helped me to make sure I didn’t double up on ideas!
- M&Ms – I love these costumes and if there’s a group of you going to a ‘M’ themed event then you can go as different colored M&Ms which is a very effective group costume.
- Mad Hatter – everyone loves the Mad Hatter and he’s so much fun to dress up as whether you choose the classic version or Johnny Depp’s version.
- Madame Pompadour – Madame Pompadour was chief mistress to France’s King Louis XV from the 1740s to her death in the 1760s so if you want a historical costume then this would be a great person to dress up as.
- Madonna – there are lots of great costumes that Madonna has worn, I tend to think of her Desperately Seeking Susan look when I first think of dressing up as her, but you could always wear her pink dress from Material Girl where she was basically copying Madonna or her ‘Like a Virgin’ wedding dress outfit.
- Mae West – blonde and glamorous actress from Hollywood’s classic years of the 1930s and 40s Mae West was known for her risque double entrendres which means she could be a fun person to dress up as……you could get away with saying all sorts!
- Mafia man or woman – pinstriped 1930 suits with machine guns or baseball bats.
- Magenta (Rocky Horror Picture Show)
- Magnum PI – dust off an old Hawaiian shirt and get a moustache and you’re one of Tom Selleck’s most lovable characters.
- Mahatma Ghandi
- Maid – From a Victorian scullery maid to a sexy French maid there’s a few different looks you could try out if you go with the idea of a maid. Even a hotel housekeeper costume comes under ‘maid service’ doesn’t it?
- Maid Marion – I love some of the costumes that are available if you choose to dress up as Maid Marion, in fact if you love Medieval costumes of any description this is a great idea and I have actually written another page devoted to Maid Marion costumes –
Maid Marion Costumes
I always think of Maid Marion as a romantic heroine of a Medieval tale which makes Maid Marion costumes the ultimate renaissance costume for a lady.
Man-Eating Shark Costume
- Maleficent – it can be fun playing a villain and Maleficent does have a very iconic headdress to make her stand out from the crowd!
- Malfoy – if you’re a Harry Potter fan then you can even dress up as one of the characters, even if it is Malfoy!
- Man Eating Shark – this is a fun costume idea that I could see my hubby and a number of his friends wearing!
- Marathon Runner – If you’ve left your costume to the last minute or you just want to wear something that you can make yourself then this is the one for you. Simply put on a pair of shorts and a t-shirt, some running shoes and get two bits of paper with a number on them and stick one on your back and one on your front. A sports bottle adds another nice touch and you could also spray a little water onto your t-shirt to emulate sweat if you really wanted to.
- Marc Anthony
- Marc Bolan
- Marge Simpson
- Marie Antoinette
- Marilyn Monroe – Marilyn really did have a number of iconic costumes which is why she has her own Marilyn Monroe costume post.
Women’s Deluxe Marilyn White Dress CostumeMarilyn Monroe Hot Pink Costume
- Marshall aka a sheriff from the wild, wild west
- Martini Glass – Check out my Martini Costumes post, even your dog can come as a drink we like to serve shaken not stirred!
- Mary – there are lots of different Mary’s to dress up as from the Virgin Mary to Mary out of the nursery rhyme, Mary had a Little Lamb. Then you have Mary I of England or her cousin Mary Queen of Scots which gives you the chance to wear a Tudor costume. Another popular Mary costume choice is Mary Poppins, or else you could dress up as Mary Quant, the sixties Mod fashion designer.
- Mash personnel – you can dress up as characters from the television series like Hawkeye, Radar or Hotlips or just dress up as Mash personnel in general.
- Mask (The)
- Masked Crusader (yet another name for Batman)
- Matador, another name for bullfighter in case you’re not sure.
- Matrix Character – If you’ve still got a Trinity or Neo costume you want to show off then just say you’re a Matrix character, alternatively you could dress in a suit and black sunglasses as Agent Smith yet another Matrix character.
- Maverick – either from Top Gun or the James Garner character from the old American Western television series.
- MC Hammer – probably the only time you have a legitimate excuse to wear gold ‘hammer pants’!
MC Hammer Costume
- Medieval person, dress up in medieval costume as just about anyone you like!
- Medusa – a great costume for anyone who isn’t afraid of snakes!
- Melisandre – otherwise known as the Red Woman from the hugely popular Game of Thrones.
- Men in Black – Simply wear a suit and black wayfarers and you’re good to go as one of the Men in Black.
- Mexican bandit
- Mexican Taco
- Michael Jackson – there are lots of different MJ costumes to choose from including the Thriller look or the Billie Jean look or his Bad ensemble.
- Michael Jordan
- Michonne – from the hit show The Walking Dead
- Mickey Mouse
- Military personnel – rather than saying you’re a navy seal, army sarge, airforce pilot just dress up in your favourite military costume and say you’re military personnel and anything else is classified!
- Mime Artist
- Minion (from Despicable Me)
Despicable Me Minions Mascot Costume
- Minister – a cabinet minister or a church minister the choice is yours.
- Minnie Mouse
- Minotaur – with the head of a bull and the body of a man this is an unmistakable costume.
- Minstrel – a medieval musician who composed their own songs, you’ll just need to wear a medieval costume and carry a lute or similar instrument.
- Miss Piggy – definitely one of my favorite Muppets.
- Moll (basically a flapper outfit or ladies gangster costume)
- Monarch Butterfly – I’ve only seen these costumes in the last couple of years and they really are gorgeous.
- Money – You can buy costumes that are fashioned after money, but this is also one you can make yourself. Cut out a big piece of cardboard and draw on it as though it were a dollar bill and stick it to your outfit. Alternatively just stick lots of Monopoly money all over you.
- Monk – a monk is a very easy costume to wear as it’s very forgiving if you don’t have quite the right figure! I also like the idea of getting a monk costume as it could double as a Friar Tuck costume as well as a Sheldon Cooper costume (remember the episode where they attended a Renaissance Fair and he got annoyed at the historical inaccuracies?)
- Monster – From the Cookie Monster to Frankenstein there are lots of different monsters and costumes to choose from.
- Morpheus – from the Matrix
- Morris dancer – a traditional form of English folk dancing Morris dancers have been performing since the Middle Ages.
- Mortal Kombat characters
- Morticia Addams – from the Addams family, still a popular costume choice which is why they have their very own post – The Addams Family Costume Ideas.
- Moulin Rouge dancers
- Mountie – Canada’s finest.
- Movie Star – think red carpet style if you want to be generic or just choose your favourite actor and dress up as them.
- Mr Bean
- Mr Potato Head
- Mr T – I pity the fool who chooses to dress up as Mr T!
- Mummy – there are some great costumes that you can buy that give the illusion that you’re wrapped in bandages and I really recommend using them. Years ago I used actual bandages to wrap myself up as a mummy for a fancy dress costume and it was great, until I realized I needed to go to the toilet that was!!
- Munsters – this is another great opportunity for a group costume.
- Muppet – dress up as any of the Muppets from Kermit to Miss Piggy or from Animal to the Swedish Chef.
- Mustard – there are a couple of different costumes available for mustard from mustard sachets to bottles and they are good, I’ve only seen the bottle ones in real life when a couple at a Halloween event were wearing mustard and ketchup bottles.
The classic ‘P’ costume has to be pirates and let’s face it this is a costume that never gets old. No matter what age or sex you are everyone loves dressing up like a pirate even if it’s just so they can saw ‘aarrrrgh’ all night! There are so many different types of pirate costumes that you can dress up in you might want to checkout a post devoted to pirate costumes only – Pirate Fancy Dress Costumes. This costume post covers pirate costumes for men, women and children, it also looks at pirate hats, pirate boots and other pirate accessories that help bring together the best pirate costume ever!
Despite the overbearing urge to dress up as a pirate for a ‘P’ party or fancy dress events there are a lot of other options. You can choose from a PB&J Sandwich, a Peacock or numerous other ideas, let’s check them all out….
Costumes Starting with the Letter P
- Paddington Bear
- Paris – Paris can take a variety of interpretations. It could be the city or the Paris who caused the Trojan war on account of Helen of Troy. You could also go as Paris Hilton, the well-known socialite. Use a skimpy dress, a long blonde wig, and a small dog in a handbag to create that look.
- Pauly D (Jersey Shore) – Whether you’re a fan of the Jersey Shore or of the Pauly D Project this is a cool Pauly D costume to wear. I must admit I haven’t seen either program, but they certainly have a lot of fans.
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwich
- Pebbles -The Flintstones make great costume ideas for a fancy dress party and I’ve seen a number of Freds, Wilmas, Barneys and Bettys over the years, surprisingly I’ve never seen anyone dress up as Pebbles, but if you’re going to a P party it’s a pretty good choice
Long Hair Panda Bear Mascot CostumeJersey Shore Deluxe Pauly D CostumeWomen’s Peacock Costume
- Pepper Shaker
- Peter Pan – Who doesn’t love the story of Peter Pan? With the first name Peter and the second name Pan he is definitely a good choice for a ‘P’ party costume idea!
- Phantom of the Opera
- Pied Piper
- Pink Lady (Grease)
- Pink Panther
Phantom of the Opera Costume AdultPepper Shaker Costume – AdultCalifornia Costumes Men’s Pimp Costume
- Pirate – There are lots of different pirate costumes available, so many that they have their very own home – Pirate Fancy Dress Costumes
- Playing Cards
- Plo Kloon – I do my best to include a Star Wars character whenever I do a post on costumes beginning with just to keep my Star Wars friends happy!
- Poison Ivy
- Polar Bear
- Pop Art Outfits – Recently, costumes inspired by the style of Roy Lichtenstein have gone crazy on Pinterest they feature bright colors, dots etc. The main thing to get right is the quirky makeup – YouTube has a number of tutorials, then add a bright wig, the outfit itself should enhance the colors you’ve added to your face and your wig of course.
- Pop Idol – this could be any one from old time idols like Elvis to the likes of Jessie J
- Posh Spice – If you want to dress up as Posh Spice in her heyday then check out the Spice Girls Costume post.
- Potato Head
Rasta Imposta Women’s Pop Art GirlMr Potato Head Adult CostumePlaying Card – Ace of Spades – Costume
- Power Ranger – All you have to do is decide which Power Ranger you’d prefer, although personally I’d go with Pink as that also starts with P!
- Princes – Dress up as any number of princes from Prince Charming, Prince Caspian, Prince the musician or even Prince Charles!
- Princesses – There are lots of Princesses to dress up as from Princess Leia to Princess Fiona, not to mention any of the Disney Princesses
- Professor Dumbledore
- Professor Snape
- Punk – A range of outfits can be created with a punk theme. Build them with accessories including:
- Tartan clothing
- Leather trousers
- Studded dog collars
- Punk makeup – this can be heavy and non-realistic, using bold lines and bright colours around the features of the face with colours extending into the hair, which is gelled or spiked
- Pussy Galore
I was reading a post on the Spooky Recipes the other day where the author was talking about Gluten Free Halloween treats and I thought what a great idea. I’m very lucky in that I don’t have to worry about gluten free products in my household, but more and more people seem to be finding that they can’t tolerate gluten so if you’re one of them here is the fantastic post I was talking about –
Gluten Free Halloween Treats – definitely a great idea to have some of these treats on hand.
If you want even more gluten free treat ideas then you might want to dip into this book and adapt some of the recipes for Halloween by using Halloween inspired cookie cutters, food dyes etc –
Enjoy Life’s Cookies for Everyone!: 150 Delicious Gluten-Free Treats
Fancy Dress Ideas Beginning with L
Have you ever been to an alphabet party? When I was in my early 20s they were all the rage, somehow every single time I was invited to one it was always a P party which meant dressing up as something beginning with the letter P. You can choose any letter of the alphabet however and today I’ve chosen the letter L.
Fancy dress parties or costume parties are so much more fun when they’re themed, but you don’t always want to have an 80s party,a James Bond themed cocktail evening or even a Star Wars themed party. Choosing a letter to base your party around is fun because seeing how people interpret it can be really interesting…..some people really know how to think outside of the box.
Costumes Beginning with L – The List
- Laa Laa – Instantly recognisable costume, I must admit I do find the Teletubbies a little annoying. I was so relieved when my daughter didn’t seem very taken with them 🙂
- Lady Bug – I absolutely loved Ladybirds or Lady Bugs (depending on where you’re from) as a child and I still think they make a gorgeous costume idea.
- Lady Gaga – Lady Gaga called herself the Queen of Reinvention when she first burst on her screens and she’s lived up to that with a range of ‘outrageous’ costumes which makes her a fun person to dress up as. Check out some of her costume ideas on these posts – Lady Gaga Official Costumes & Lady Gaga Bodysuit Inspired Costumes.
- Lady Godiva – For those of you who don’t know the story Lady Godiva rode into town on a white pony………..wearing absolutely nothing! Basically all you need is a skin colored body suit and a long blonde wig and you have a great costume.
- Lady Luck – Lady Luck is a fictional character that personifies luck, as she’s not really real you can dress up however you like as long as you include some symbols of luck from shamrocks to a rabbits foot or alternatively incorporate elements of gambling like dice and cards as she’s often called upon in places such as Vegas!
- Lancelot – Sir Lancelot was one of King Arthur’s most trusted advisors and a Knight of the Round Table. He is portrayed as a romantic figure and features in numerous Medieval romance stories.
- LAPD motorcycle cop – think Chips or The Village People
- Lara Croft
- Latin Dancer
- LEGO character
Lara Croft CostumeLegolas – Adult CostumeLatin Dancer Costume
- Leia – Princess Leia from Star Wars is a classic Star Wars costume that you can wear as a costume beginning with L too!
- Leonardo (TMNT)
- Lifeguard – If you have a Baywatch costume from previous years you can always use this for a Lifeguard costume.
- Lime Wedge – This is a fun costume, but a word to the wise people seem to get fed up with you constantly asking if anyone has seen your Corona…..and I thought it was funny
- Little Mermaid
- Lone Ranger
- Long John Silver – Pirate costumes are fun for all the family, so if you like pirates then Long John Silver is a great idea, check out our Pirate Costume post
- Luigi – Luigi needs no introduction to anyone born since the mid-80s as both Luigi and Mario have worked their way firmly into our pop culture.
- Luke Skywalker – Yet another Star Wars inspired costume beginning with L, perhaps if you’re attending a party as a couple you could go as Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia.
Whether you’re serving special Halloween cocktails or just the usual wine and beer you’ll want some spooky Halloween glassware to serve your drinks up in. There are some fantastic Halloween glasses available.
You can get beer steins that are designed with Halloween in mind such as this rather bloody one from Zazzle –
Then again you can also get some great wine glasses, such as this one from Lolita which gives me the shivers – I mean would you want to drink your wine from a glass that’s adorned by the reaper?
Lolita Halloween Wine Glass
For a collection of great Halloween glassware including some gorgeous and spooky cocktail glasses you really should check out – Halloween Glasses.